Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 15, or: making a series of Monday posts again

Which doesnt' actually seem to work that badly for me. Its easier for me to take a larger chunk of time, once a week, then have to make two reminders to go to the blog and type. Even though I was trying to reform myself last week, me thinks I actually like it this way, and will instead keep it.

Open question to the Prof': Would it be ok if I made one massive entry that was labeled for both days(if this is ok, I will start doing it next week. This is seeing as how you end up commenting on just 1/2 of my Monday entries), or should I still make a separate entry for each day?

This chapter on telecommunications feels much more interesting and less technical than the previous one on database management. Probably because telecommunications actually applies to everyday life in some ways(read: cellphones, internet), and database management is such an abstract concept. I enjoyed the discussion about the Internet2(is this how it is written?), and it would be interesting to learn more about the details. Why is it that we normal users do not and will not begin using the Internet2? From what I can tell by the class lecture, Internet2 just seems like a faster version of the internet, although a point was emphasized that the system is different from the internet, and that it is a closed system like Apple has. Guess I'll have to become a physicist at CERN to figure out the details!

I appreciate that Professor Tuggle also expanded a little more on what XML does. I remember XML coming up as a TLA in the material in one of the previous tests, but I only knew the name of it, and nothing at all about what it does. If I understand it correctly, XML and HTML are not *that* different, are they? HTML is in general, and XML is more focused on displaying data and information; more useful to the business world.

Didn't know that cookies and caches were bits of information stored on your hardrive from websites! So that's why its good to clear your cookies...What does happen though, if we leave excessive amounts of cookies on there for too long? I tend not to remember to do it too often...
Professor Tuggle was also most amusing to listen to on Tuesday when he was describing the evils of the invading cookies/caches.

No comments:

Post a Comment