Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 2, or damn Windows Vista that this post is late

VISTA

The new bane of my existence!! Short aside: on Thursday night I started up my newly purchased(within the month) Lenovo p.c. with Windows Vista. Tried to open the Internet to return to my equally newly minted blog, the machine froze. Tried again, it froze again. Went through a bunch of incompetent technical support to get through a total system reset. Reinstalled the internet. Was very excited about finally typing that blog today on the Lenovo. And then it froze again. The computer seems to have no hardware problems, so I'm very inclined to blame the Vista.

Heh...it seems the aside was not so short afterall.

To the main attraction, thoughts about Thursday's class. My overall impression was that the class was conducted extremely fast and hurriedly. Having still been in the adjustment period to a morning bird's schedule(from waking at 9 or later to 6am everyday, quite the adventure), I didn't have the energy to properly read the first chapter before class. I'm not sure if the material covered in chapter 1 is of inconsequential or simple and introductory nature, but it felt rather harder to keep up with the lecture. Furthermore, compared with the first lecture on the history of the internet, it did not feel as cohesive or as unified.

On the other hand, the case study about Sew What? was both interesting and entertaining. I enjoyed listening to Professor Tuggle describe such a unique company, and was definitely surprised at how their small and specialized idea could grow so large, and find such a good market through the World Wide Web. I suppose this reflects what they say about "finding one's niche", and filling up a specific area of a specific market.

Overall, this lecture threw me for quite the loop from what I'd experienced with the first class. It may be because I had false hopes coming into the class about exactly what the material would be about, but this chapter seems to be quite simply dry, technical, and without the quirky bits that the internet lecture had. Though then again, maybe that's just my being interested in everything related to the Almighty Internet God.

Signing off to go get friendly with Lenovo technical support...again,
Grace(/Elen)

1 comment:

  1. Bad news: THIS is the interesting stuff!!! The dry, boring material you'll hit later!

    An unfortunate characteristic of this course: it seems to always hurry right along, without giving you much time to reflect on stuff in class--that's part of your homework: think about what was covered in class.

    BTW, Vista has been a complete drag; that's why Microsoft is coming out with Windows 7 in a few weeks....

    ReplyDelete