Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 8, or: Class was short yay?

UHHH...

That top portion was supposed to be part of some witty theme describing the class, as I'd done for the past seven class meetings. For the first time I can't think of anything, and I really don't have that much to say about the material covered either. Strange. Even with the first disjointed class meeting, I had lots to rave about with how interesting the history of the internet was, but I've been trying to think of pulling together some brilliant theme describing this class and am coming up blank. What can I say?

Class was class. Class was about the "easy" portion of software, so says Professor Tuggle. And er, I agree with that. The material was fairly simple, definition based, and did not seem to have that many big concepts. There were also some "gimmie" definitions, with the fact that we all know what email and im are, what spreadsheets are, and software suites(at least in part, due to Microsoft Office's title always being Microsoft Office SUITE). Oh, and web browsers. "software that supports web browsing". The amount of self explanatory information in the second half of this pretty short lecture was rather appreciated. I could even keep up with writing appropriate red words in different colored ink, for when my notes get photocopied by the TLT.

The case study though, was interesting as usual. The idea of there being an ERP, something that integrates all of the functions a business needs(in accounting, various planning, etc, etc...) is rather amazing to think about. The best explanatory analogy I can come up with for this naming of "amazing" would be how I felt when, in managerial accounting, our professor introduced us to an accounting software that would do all of the basic sheets for us if we simply enter the appropriate journal entries. Much like WolfPack, this was after we had made it through a marathon 9 hour day of trying to do the accounting process by ourselves, failing, having to restart again, failing yet again...

Lastly...I do wonder what exactly happens when one violates the EULA on COT software they have purchased. We discussed that the EULA has the power to disable the software, but how exactly does it do that? I'm imagining a little computer robot with maniacally large scissors, poised to cut some kind of connection wire that keeps the software working for the end user...but that a bit too fantastically crazy...

Oh, and there was the fact that class ended early! Always nice to beat the jammed 7pm backlog out of the parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. I try to end class at different times, so as not to be predictable....

    ReplyDelete